Recently, I was attending midday bible study at my church and one of the things that we were studying was the book of John and all of the times Jesus said, "I am."
In bible study, only 8 scriptures were used, but as I read the book of John more on my own, I discovered more.
My eyes were wide opened.
I wondered to myself, how could I, being a Christian for so long, not have noticed this. I have heard the scriptures repeatedly, but it never dawned on me that Jesus said "I am" so many times in one book.
Even two thousand years later these statements remain powerful.
Listed below are the 8 "I am" statements that we studied.
- John 6:35 - And Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst."
- John 8:12 - Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the light of the world. He who follows me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."
- John 8:58 - Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I Am."
- John 10:9 - "I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture."
- John 10:11 - "I am good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep."
- John 11:25 - Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live."
- John 14:6 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."
- John 15:1 - "I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser."